Welcome to the first edition of Kitchen Alchemy! This series on the blog features recipes I’ve concocted in my kitchen that are easy, delicious, and healthy. Trying out the recipe? I’d love to see how it turned out for you! Share your photo with #KitchenAlchemy and tag Mind Body Magick post.
I absolutely love fall. The cooler weather is perfect for bon fires and sweatshirts. My year-round Halloween decorations are no longer being judged. And of course, it’s finally socially appropriate to devour everything pumpkin spice. One of my favorite seasonal beverages to order is a chai latte with pumpkin spice in it. It is amazing if you haven’t tried it. Sometimes I add vanilla to calm down how feisty the spices are between the chai tea and flavoring if I want something a bit more mellow.
However, this is one drink I usually reserve for a “treat yo’self” moment. Not only do these cost more than the average cup of coffee, but they’re also not very nutrient dense or friendly to certain ways of eating. For instance, Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice syrup actually contains condensed milk, which is a major bummer for anyone who is vegan or lactose/dairy intolerant. As someone who is the latter, the first day of Fall inspired me to try out a healthier take on my favorite drink and came up with the…
Pumpkin Spice Chai Protein Smoothie
This was *exactly* what I needed for the onset of fall.
What you’ll love about it:
- Over 25g of protein per smoothie
- Vegan/Dairy Free
- 100% indulgent to your pumpkin spice needs
What you’ll need:
- 1 can of Pumpkin Puree
- Plant-based Vanillla Protein Powder (I used SELECT Vegan Protein in Vanilla Indulgence)
- 1 single serve container Vanilla Yogurt Milk Alternative (I used Silk Vanilla Almondmilk Yogurt Alternative)
- Cold or room temperature chai tea (I used TAZO Chai Tea Latte)
- Dairy-free milk (I used Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Coconut Almondmilk Blend)
- Spices and sweeteners to taste such as nutmeg, pumpkin spice, and cinnamon (I also used a Stevia Cinnamon Vanilla flavoring)
1. Add the pumpkin puree to the blender
2. Add your cup of yogurt
3. Add a heaping scoop of protein powder
4. Blend ingredients until all lumps are gone. Scrap the sides of the blender between mixes if your protein sticks to the sides a bit.
5. Once smoothly combined, add your chai tea and your choice of milk. As an alternative, you could use coffee instead of chai.
6. Add spices to taste. Keep blending between so the flavors are evenly dispersed.
7. Pour out, and BLAM! Fall in a cup.
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- A heaping scoop of plant-based vanilla protein powder
- 1 single serve container of vanilla non-dairy yogurt alternative
- 1/2 cup cold or room temperature chai tea
- 1/2 cup dairy alternative milk
- nutmeg, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice to taste
- Combine pumpkin puree, yogurt, protein powder, chai tea and milk in blender
- Once blended, continue to add spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice) to taste.
- Continue to pause and taste test between blends to get the flavor to your liking
- Pour into cup and enjoy the autumnal goodness
- Add stevia, vanilla extract or other natural flavorings if you want your drink a bit sweeter
- If you want a more caffeine or a larger drink, add equal parts chai and milk in a larger volume (really good for a to go cup in the morning!)
- Refrigerate up to 2 days if there is extra